The ultimate Jackfruit sandwich made with Jackfruit Rendang
We are Dutch – which means, we LOOOOOVE bread. Couldn’t have been happier that when we arrived here we learnt the Portuguese like bread as much as we do. Recently, I made rendang from Jackfruit and had some rendang left. To be honest, it was even better on bread than the night before when I served the rendang with rice and veggies. So here is a jackfruit sandwich recipe, for you to enjoy.
Recipe for the jackfruit sandwich
Category: ultimate vegan sandwiches
Quantity: for 4 sandwiches
Time: prepare: 10 minutes, time in the pan: 45 min, prep time: 5 min.
What do you need?
- pan (and lid)
- food processor (if you make the bumbu yourself)
- can of jackfruit (not the syrupy one, from your Asian or Health Store)
- your favorite bread
- pickled cucumber and onion (optional – very tasty)
You have ready-made bumbu for the rendang which you can buy at any store with a large Asian section. You can of course use this for an easy version. If you want to cook the rendang from scratch yourself, you also need the following ingredients:
- 4 dried chillies (soak in hot water for 10 minutes)
- 4 cloves of garlic (pressed)
- 3 cm ginger (cut into pieces)
- 1 lemongrass stalk (finely chopped)
Spices to add to the pan:
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- piece of cinnamon bark
- 6 lime leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp galangal
- tbsp tamarind
- 1 tsp salt
- tbsp coconut blossom sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1/2 – 1 can of coconut milk
How do you create the jackfruit sandwich?
The jackfruit rendang
- Open the can of jackfruit and throw it in a colander and drain.
- In the meantime, you can create the bumbu by grinding the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemongrass in the food processor. If you feel like it, you can also do this with a mortar (I am lazy and never feel like doing this by hand).
- Pull apart the jackfruit – make smaller pieces.
- Put a pan with a thick bottom on the fire and add a little oil. Fry the bumbu (homemade or from the package).
- Then add all other herbs and spices and a tablespoon of coconut blossom sugar. Bake this well for a minute.
- Add the jackfruit and stir well.
- Now you can add the 100 ml of water. Lower the gas and let it simmer.
- When the water is almost completely absorbed / evaporated, start by adding half a can of coconut milk. Mix this well and let it simmer well. If you think you need more coconut milk (e.g. it is already very dry or absorbed very quickly) then add more.
- Let it simmer for at least half an hour on very low heat until all the coconut milk has been absorbed.
- Taste if it is tasty and add extra sugar / salt if necessary.
Building the jackfruit sandwich
- Cut open your favorite sandwich, grab a nice thick slice of bread or prepare a piece of flatbread.
- Add the rendang to the sandwich
- Top it off with toppings of your choice:
pickled vegetables, chopped onion, coriander, roasted coconut, seroendeng, chillies, atjar – whatever you like
If you like some heat, spice it up with some sriracha or sambal (we like!).
TADAAA you are done – enjoy your DELICIOUS jackfruit rendang sandwich!
Did you create this recipe? Let us know in the comments what you thought of it! Or do you have a question? Get in touch with us.