Plant based Sausage Rolls – quick & easy peasy
Have your own homemade plant based sausage rolls on the table under 30 minutes!
How much do you like plant-based sausage rolls? Ever since I was little I loved the combination of puff pastry and a good filling. Sausage rolls have a long history. The Ancient Greeks and Romans already wrapped meat in pastry. The Americans are taking credit for inventing the sausage roll. However, it was the British who created this delicacy.
I believe every country has some own similar national delicacy, like in the Netherlands where they enjoy a “saucijzenbroodje”.
A regular sausage roll is created by wrapping flaky puff pastry around a (you wouldn’t guess) a sausage or sausage mince. So basically, to make a plant-based sausage roll alternative, you’d just have to buy a plant sausage and wrap puff pastry around.
What is in a vegan sausage roll?
I recreated a plant-based version without buying a plant sausage. For this recipe, I used (the not so sexy) soy granules. This is such a versatile ingredient which lends it well to go any direction. I do not enjoy the taste of all the chilled vegan meat alternatives (sometimes they have a taste or smell I don’t really know what I smell). Moreover, soy granules are super cheap and have a long shelf life, so you buy them once, and you do not have to worry about them expiring in your fridge (like some fresh meat alternatives).
Probably, you will have all the ingredients already at home except for the puff pastry. If you are really into cooking, make your own puff pastry, otherwise, just use store-bought which can be kept in the fridge or freezer (for longer keeping).
Without any further ado: Let’s start baking!
Recipe for vegan sausage rolls
Plant based Sausage Roll
- mixing bowl
- chopping board
- 75 gr soy granules
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sambal
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp peas
- 1 small onion chopped
- 200 gram puff pastry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Defrost your puff pastry (and peas) if needed.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C degrees.
- Grab a bowl and add the soy chunks with 2 tbsp of water and mix well. The soy chunks are dry and you will add more wet ingredients later, so they don't have to be fully absorbed like you may do for other recipes.
- Chop the onion finely
- In the mixing bowl, add the onion, peas, curry powder, chili sauce, soy sauce (and the sambal if you like). Mix well.
- Roll out the puff pastry
- Grab a little bit of the "plant sausage filling" and place it in the shape of a sausage 1 cm from the edge.
- Wrap the puff pastry over the sausage roll and close it well. You can do this by pushing the dough together with a fork.
- Repeat this process until your soy granules or puff pastry are finished.
- With a brush, very lightly brush the top of the sausage rolls with some olive oil. As an alternative you can also decide to do this with plant-milk, however, in my eyes, the sausage rolls look better when you use the olive oil.
- Place the sausage rolls in the hot oven for approximately 15 minutes. Check after 15 minutes if they look golden. If not, leave a little longer in the oven
- When ready, take them from the oven and don't burn your mouth before you take a bite! Enjoy!
Did you recreate these plant-based sausage rolls? Share them on IG with us! Let us know in the comments what you thought of it or how to make them taste even better! Or, do you have a question about them, just get in touch. Always happy to help!