Savoury onion bread with curry and thyme
We love bread! We like to eat it often. Recently I (San) have also become a fan of baking bread, preferably to be creative and bake some funky bread. Additionally, I love savoury breads, so I thought hey, let me experiment with that. Hence this recipe for making onion bread with curry and thyme!
Secretly I am quite proud of this bread because the bread was successful in one go and my tester (Sofie, who is very critical) was immediately enthusiastic.
A bit of info on the onion bread
For this recipe I used a standard white bread dough recipe that I use more often, only I pimped this up a bit by means of different spices. The tablespoon of curry powder in the recipe seems like a lot, but this is really necessary to give the bread a nice taste.
I also added a tablespoon of chia seeds and sunflower seeds to the bread dough because seeds are always delicious in a bread!
However, onion can sometimes be a bit “wet”. That is why I first let the onion dry in the oven for a while so that it became a bit more crispy and does not make the bread dough too wet.
This onion bread tastes delicious with herb cheese or herb butter. I myself ate this bread with a cup of onion soup and with a salad. Something, which I can also highly recommend!
So do you feel like getting creative? Then try making this onion bread with curry and thyme.
In terms of quantities, this recipe is actually the basic recipe that you can keep. So you can easily vary with herbs and veggies. More about this is described in the recipe. But in short, be creative and make something delicious! Let’s start baking!
Recipe for the Onion bread with curry and thyme
Quantity: for one big bread
Time: prepare: 10 minutes, resting time: 1x 1 hour, 1x 45 min, time in the oven: 35 min, waiting time: 15 min.
What do you need?
- Bread pan
- Kitchen cloth
- Mixing bowl
- 1 onion diced (dried in oven)
- 500 gr flour
- 7 g yeast
- 300 ml of lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 gram salt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp thyme dried or fresh
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
How do you create the Onion bread
- In this recipe we start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees
- Chop the onion into pieces and place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes so that the onion becomes a bit drier. After this, the oven can be turned off again because the dough has to rise
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, curry and thyme (if you want the chia seeds and sunflower seeds in your bread, add these too)
- In another bowl, mix the water and yeast
- When the onion is ready, add it along with the olive oil to the bowl with the dry ingredients
- Then little by little add the lukewarm water to the flour and the other dry ingredients and mix well. Knead this into a smooth dough for 10 minutes.
- Make a nice ball of the dough and grease very lightly with some olive oil.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and let it rise in a warm place (+/- 20 degrees) for 1 hour
- After an hour, take the tin in which you are going to bake the bread, lightly grease the sides with olive oil. If you have, spread a tablespoon of corn flour over the bottom of the tin for a crunchy bottom and so the onion bread doesn’t stick. If you don’t have this, brushing with olive oil is also fine
- Cover this again with a damp tea towel and let rise for another 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Open the oven and slide the bread into the oven for at least 35 minutes.
- Check after 35 minutes whether the onion bread is done, otherwise you can still put your bread in the oven.
- And enjoy!